Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  70.42
Time =  7:09:59
Ave. Speed =  9.8
Max. Speed =  42.0
Monthly Dist. =    70.42
Yearly Dist. =  402.12

I was going to wait until the weekend to head up to the crest but the weather forecast said that it was going to be in the low 90s, and I just couldn't pass that up. That is very warm for the first week of May. The average temperature is about 78.

I left the house a little bit after 8:00 in the morning, and headed down Tramway. There were a lot of people out walking and jogging and biking. When I came back about eight hours later there was hardly anybody out. 93 degrees pretty much chased them off the streets.

I continued through Tijeras Canyon and then through Cedar Crest, to my break spot near the Y. As I pulled in to take a break I saw a big coyote standing across the street and he was staring at me. I stared back at him for a couple of minutes before he went off into the trees. I scarfed down a PowerBar knowing that I would need it for the big climb, and then I headed up.

I was very slow. Getting to the top does not require me to turn the pedals quickly, only to keep on turning them. I made my way up past the ski area, and then took a break at the Capulin Snow Play area. As I turned in to Capulin, there was a big deer staring at me from across the road. I stopped at a picnic table that was in the sun and ate an apple that I had brought along for the ride. I continued my journey, knowing that I would probably be stopping one more time at 10,000 feet, before I could make it to the top. Fatigue always seems to hit me right there, and it did again on this day. I rested for a couple of minutes gathering my strength for the last two and a half miles. It was windy on the climb up, and now it had become a cold wind, forcing me to put on my jacket for the rest of the climb. As I neared the crest a young kid and his dad came riding by me. The kid couldn't have been more than 9 years old. He was so little that his bike had undersized wheels on it. That didn't stop him from riding past me. That kid's going to be amazing in a few years, or maybe I just really suck. Well, I do really suck, but I have fun doing it. Even with the suffering and the complaining.

I did eventually make it to the top and a quick check of the temperature said that it was 55 degrees. That's a heat wave as far as I'm concerned. Wonderful!

I cruised down the mountain to the gas station and filled up on water and drank a Gatorade. They stopped selling the X Factor and only had that crappy Tiger Woods drink. I won't get that next time. The ride back to town was very warm. The temperature seemed to rise every few minutes until it was in the 90s by the time I reached Tramway. The prairie dogs along the trail were cheering me on as I headed back to the house.

Return to Cool Dust Main Page