Location =  Tijeras NM  
Distance =  25.0
Time =  
Ave. Speed =  
Max. Speed =  
Monthly Dist. =    95.56
Yearly Dist. =  512.71

Finally, a real mountain bike ride.

Don called me last night and asked if I wanted to go for a ride over by Cedro Peak. I was still tired and sore from my ride up to the crest, but I was very willing to get on the mountain bike, just don't expect me to be fast. We drove over to Chamisoso and started our ride from there.

It was about 8:30 in the morning when we started and it was still cool out with temps in the 60s. About eight raindrops fell but it didn't amount to anything. We started off by riding on Coyote Trail which led us to Mighty Mule and around the back of the mountain. Everything was going smoothly until we came to a spot in the trail where there is a little drop off. Don was ahead of me and he stopped at the drop off. I tried to go around him but I slowed down too much and ended up going over the bars. Ouch! I hit the rocks and knocked a chunk out of the bridge of my nose, and scraped my chin. Don told me that it was bleeding really badly but when I used my glove to stem the flow of blood it didn't seem to be as bad as he was saying it was. The worst part of the crash was the fact that I had scratches in the lens of my glasses, and they were big ones. I had to replace the lenses that afternoon at a cost of $150.00. Bummer. Also, I didn't realize it at the time, but my speedometer was gone. That was another $35.00. Bummer again.

Pretty soon we came to the trail that dead ends, but it really doesn't. We pushed our bikes up and found the the unmarked trail that leads the way out of there. After a few minutes we intersected with Poker Chip Trail and from there we were dumped out on Juan Tomas Road. We crossed the road and got up on Mahogany Trail which would take us up to Oak Flat.

Along the way there was a snake across the trail. I'm not sure if Don ran it over or not. I got my front tire over it, and I got most of the weight off of my back tire as it went over him. I hope he was all right. It was not a rattlesnake. As we got closer to Oak Flat there were some ribbons and markings that indicated that there was a race going on. We managed to make the climb up to Oak Flat before the peloton a racers appeared which would have forced us to leave the trail.

At Oak Flat we rode around looking for some water because I wanted to wash the blood off of my face. We found the tap but it was turned off. It was running last year. Oh well, another bummer.

We rode across the highway to Raven Road so the I could pick up the mail. There was a big furry dog up there that looked like he was dropped off. I think that he wanted to follow us home. Hopefully, someone will take him in. He seemed like a nice dog. With the mail safely stashed in my backpack we decided to take the highway back to the trailhead where the car was parked. In the past we might have been tempted to take the trails from Mars Court down to Otero or Tunnel Canyon, but not today.

The road down the mountain had a pretty stiff headwind but it didn't slow us down too much. There must have been some kind of Porsche rally going on because lots of them driving up the highway. Some of them were real classics.

We made it safely back to Chamisoso around noon, just as the day was heating up. It was in the 80s and getting hotter.

Return to Cool Dust Main Page