Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  71.36
Time =  8:24:32
Ave. Speed =  8.4
Max. Speed =  35.5
Monthly Dist. =    71.36
Yearly Dist. =  191.80

I'm a month behind on getting my ride uploaded. I probably ought to get it done because I'm going to head out and try it again tomorrow. At least I have some notes to refer to.

I headed out early, a little before 7:00 a.m., and just as I was leaving I noticed a very nice sunrise coming up over the mountain. I went back to the house to get my camera and I took this very nice picture. This was a nice way to start the ride. Temperatures were in the 20s and I was bundled up pretty well as I headed out down Tramway. The weather forecast predicted temperatures in the 50s by the afternoon, so I was looking forward to a nice day.

I made my way through Tijeras Canyon and then through Cedar Crest. I was thrilled to see that the county had come out and plowed the sidewalk through Cedar Crest, and cleaned up the dirt. Way to Go! I made it to my break spot and stopped for a PowerBar before heading up the big climb.

I wasn't feeling very strong but I didn't feel terribly weak either, so I just tried to settle into an even pace and keep the pedals turning. For some reason I had to stop and pee a lot more than I usually do. I must have stopped 12 or 15 times on this ride. At least I was well hydrated.

Before I got to the ski area I stopped to take a picture of the same mountainside in winter that I have pictures of from the summer and fall. It shows a nice contrast between the seasons.

I continued my climb towards the top, passing the ski area and the Capulin Snow Play Area. The amount traffic drops off considerably once I get by those two places. Somewhere at about 9000 feet or so of elevation I saw this little mouse. For some reason seeing the mouse made me very happy. I felt like I had a friend to share my suffering with as I headed toward the top. I only wish that he had a little bicycle to ride so that he could come along and share the experience. I continued toward the top and a couple of cars gave me some attaboys. That always helps to lift my spirits. Eventually, I made it to the top and went inside the gift shop to warm up. It was 28 degrees at the top which is very pleasant for February.

I scarfed down a PowerBar and then bundled myself up for the descent. The downhill was as frigid as always and I was very relieved to make it down to the gas station. I filled up on water and then headed for home. As I cruised through Cedar Crest my rear wheel started to make rubbing noises from inside the hub. It had done this before but Willy had adjusted it and it seemed to fix the problem, at least for a while. I would have to take things a little bit slower for the rest of the way back to the house. I just glad the hub didn't start to fail on the ride down from the crest. That would have really slowed the ride down and prolonged my suffering in the cold.

I took it easy for the rest of the ride, and after another three or four stops to pee, I made it safely back to house.

Return to 2010 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page