Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  70.07
Time =  7:00:38
Ave. Speed =  10.0
Max. Speed =  35.0
Monthly Dist. =    70.07
Yearly Dist. =  261.87

It's time for another streak ride and this time I feel like I am a little more prepared than I have been in quite a while. I've actually been going to the gym and working out on the stationary bike. I need to do that in order to try and prevent major suffering during the ride.

I left the house right around 7:00 a.m. and headed down Tramway. It was chilly out with temps still in the 20s, but the forecast said it was supposed to get up into the 60s. I made my way through Tijeras Canyon and then Cedar Crest and stopped for a break at my spot. It hadn't warmed up very much and when I stopped my feet were very cold. I jumped up and down for a few minutes to get the blood circulating, and it seemed to work. My feet warmed up and they were never really cold again for the rest of the day. I didn't wear my booties because I thought that it would be too warm for them, and except for the first couple of hours I was correct about that. I had on a light pair of long underwear and some tights, and that was a little warm. I could have gotten away with just wearing my leg warmers. There were times during the ride where I was fighting overheating, especially when the sun would come out.

I started up the big climb, and I could tell that my workouts in the gym had given me a little more power than I usually have. Also, I had my road bike and the skinny 27 inch tires are a lot easier to turn than the knobby 26 inch tires. I stopped for a couple of short breaks on the way to the top, and I eventually pulled in to the parking lot at the crest. I went inside to warm up a little bit, before heading out for the big descent. It was 28 degrees at the top which is quite comfortable for this time of year. I put on my warm hat and gloves for the trip down the mountain, but I left off my facemask and overmitts.

On the way down I passed a guy who was on his way up. He was already above the ski area so I assume that he was heading for the top. I can't remember seeing anybody else ride to the top during the winter, other than myself. We waved and gave each other shout-outs. I saw another person closer to the bottom but I knew that they weren't heading for the top. They didn't even have a backback with them. I made it to the gas station and went inside to warm up for a few minutes. The day had warmed up a little bit and it brought out some people on motorcycles. A couple of guys on Ducatis pulled in to the gas station as well as a Kawasaki and a couple of other bikes. It's getting to be that season. After a few minutes of getting warmed up, I headed back toward town.

As I got closer to Albuquerque I could feel the temperature start to rise. When I was about a mile from Tramway I started to seriously overheat, so much so that I stopped and took off my jacket and my full fingered gloves. Excellent! The ride back to the house was very enjoyable. I took my time and enjoyed the scenery. I saw one prairie dog at Indian school which was kind of unusual. They usually don't come out of the ground until the temps are above 70 degrees. The rest of them were staying snug in there little holes.

Return to 2010 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page