Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  70.72
Time =  6:47:07
Ave. Speed =  10.4
Max. Speed =  40.0
Monthly Dist. =    70.72
Yearly Dist. =  465.49

I headed out at about 8:00 in the morning and it was a little bit cool, with temps in the 50s. I cruised down the Tramway Trail and then turned into Tijeras Canyon. About halfway through the canyon a guy caught up with me and we rode together through the rest of the canyon. He had a brand new Scott bike and it was a thing of beauty. We chatted for a while until he turned south on 14, and I headed north on 14.

As I was leaving Tijeras Canyon and then heading through Cedar Crest, I saw many people jogging on the side of the road. It must have been some kind of a club that was out running a long distance because there were dozens of people out and they were spread out for miles. It's a good day for some exercise.

I reached my break spot near the Y and I was happy to see that there was water flowing in the little creek. There was a lot of snow this past winter and it's nice to see some runoff from the snow melt.

When I left the house this morning I had to scrounge around for some PowerBars. I like to have three of them with me on a crest ride, but I only had two left in the cupboard, and then I saw one that had been in my wife's car for a couple of years so I took it along. That's the one I grabbed first when I stopped for my break. As soon as I opened it I could tell that something was wrong. The color seemed too dark for it being a vanilla crisp. I took a small bite and spit it out. It was terrible. The wrapper said best if used by July 2008, and the edibility of this thing had long since disappeared. I think that it spent a few too many days inside of a 140 degree car. I stuffed that one back into my pack and ate another one, and then headed up the mountain.

I felt pretty good on the climb. I think that using the spinning bike at the gym a couple of days a week really helps me to survive the rides to the crest once a month. It's a good thing. I stopped at Capulin on the way to the top, and there was still some piles of snow around there. Higher up on the mountain there was still quite a bit of snow in the shady spots of the trees. As I got close to the top I saw a horned toad lizard in the road. I had no idea that they could live at such high elevations. It was 10,500 feet!

On the way up I noticed a lot of bike riders coming down, and when I rode down there were lots of them riding up. In the more than five years that I have been riding up to the crest I have never seen as many people doing it as I saw today. Maybe this is a good sign for the health of our nation. Once I reached the top I took a short break and checked out the temperature. It was 47 degrees up there. I put on my jacket for the descent down to the gas station, but I didn't need it after that. It was in the low 80s by the time I made it back to town. It was a very fine day with mostly sunny skies, moderate temps, and light winds.

Return to 2010 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page