Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  70.55
Time =  8:04:14
Ave. Speed =  8.7
Max. Speed =  37.5
Monthly Dist. =    70.55
Yearly Dist. =  1104.32

This is going to be my last Streak Ride from Sandia Heights. We are moving to Tijers and next month's ride will start from there. It was cold in the morning when I headed out, in the 20s. I was bundled up pretty well with my booties on, long underwear and tights, headband, and my winter gloves. I left early, before 7:00 a.m., because I haven't been riding and I know that I am slow and out of shape. Also, I had a webinar at 5:30 in the afternoon that I needed to attend and I didn't want to be late.

I headed down Tramway and there were a few people jogging and walking their dogs, but not like on a warm morning. I turned into Tijeras Canyon and ran into a medium strength headwind. I slowed my pace so I wouldn't exhaust myself fighting against the breeze and spun my way through the canyon and Cedar Crest and took a break at my break spot.

After chowing down on a PowerBar I began the long climb to the top. The wind would come and go as I climbed, and it got a lot colder as I neared the base of the ski area. I reached the Capulin Snow Play Area and I really needed a break. There were some guys working there with heavy equipment replacing part of the parking area. One guy told me that the area was closed and that I couldn't be there, but I just told him that I was going to take a few minutes break and I would stay our of their way. I rode past him and around a second gate looking for a place in the sun to rest. I heard someone honk their horn to try and get my attention to keep me out but I didn't even turn around. I found a nice spot out of the wind and ate another PowerBar. While I was sitting there I heard a loud "crack" and then a "smash." A tree had broken and fallen to the ground about 50 yards from me. I didn't see it but I sure heard it.

After a few minutes I rode out of there and past the guys who tried to stop me. They didn't say anything but they did give me dirty looks. I continued my climb toward the top and enjoyed the lack of traffic. Riding to the Crest on a weekday is the way to go. I finally reached the top and went inside for a few minutes to warm up. It was 23 degrees up there.

I put on my face mask for the descent and then headed out. I soon realized that the one thing that I had forgotton were my overmitts. The windchill put a hurt on me for the first few miles but once I dropped a couple of thousand feet in elevation it warmed up nicely. I reached the bottom and went in the gas station to warm up and fill up on water. When I headed out I didn't need my headband and I traded out my winter gloves for a regular full-fingered pair.

I headed back toward town and in the middle of Tijeras Canyon I got a flat tire. I found a spot off of the road to change out the tube and at the same time I decided that it had warmed up so much that I didn't need my booties. Temps were in the 50s. The headwind that I faced in the morning was now a tailwind, and I was thankful for that. I hate it when I have to fight the wind in both directions. Luckily, that wasn't the case this time. I made it back to the house with about 40 minutes to spare before my webinar was set to begin. I quickly ate a large dinner and then tried to connect to the internet. Wouldn't you know it, I had computer problems and could not get the audio to work. Just my luck.

Return to 2010 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page