March 27, 2012

Location =  From Downtown Albuquerque to Tijeras  
Distance =  27.0
Time =  2:30:00
Ave. Speed =  
Max. Speed =  
Monthly Dist. =    101.16
Yearly Dist. =  224.63

Deb and I had to go to downtown Albuquerque together and she had something else to do afterwards, so instead of taking two cars I put my road bike in her car so that I could ride home when we were done. My plan was to take Central all the way out to Tijeras and then ride 337 up to the house. I forgot my speedometer so the distance and time are estimates.

I headed east from downtown and stuck almost exclusively to the sidewalk. It was very nerve wracking because I had to be on constant lookout for pedestrians, other cyclists, and especially turning cars. There were a couple of blocks where the storefront doors were right on the very narrow sidewalk and I was afraid someone would come out of a door unexpectedly. There were several people that were texting on their cell phones as they were walking. One guy was so oblivious to what was going on around him that he would have walked right into me if I hadn't called out to him, "Heads up!"

I continued up Central passing by the university. There were even more pedestrians and obstacles there than there had been downtown. I stopped at 2-Wheel Drive bicycle shop to see Jeff who was just starting his new job. We talked for a few minutes and then I headed back down the road, or should I say - sidewalk. I passed a couple of movie shoots that were going on. One was at the Denny's near the university and the other one was at a little Nob Hill shopping area.

Once I made it beyond San Mateo the riding became a little easier. I occasionally rode in the street when no cars were coming and to pass other bike riders that were using the sidewalk. I breathed a big sigh of relief when I finally made it past Tramway and entered Tijeras Canyon. The ride through the canyon was fun and I started to put a little more effort into my pedalling.

I made it to 337 and I decided to stop in to the Roadside Attraction which is a new little breakfast and lunch place near the bottom of the mountain. I was hoping to get a fresh made breafast burrito but I was disappointed to find out that they don't even have a kitchen. The food that they have is from the Flying Star. I picked out a burrito from their display case and the lady heated it up for me. It gave me energy to make the climb up the hill but it wasn't as good as a Pinkies burrito.

I climbed up 337 and I gave it a pretty good effort. This was my fourth ride in five days and I could feel a big improvement in my aerobic capacity. I put out some good out-of-the-saddle efforts and made it up the hill in a lot less time than I usually do. It was a beautiful, sunny day with temps in the 60s, and I was feeling good.

Return to 2012 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page