May 18, 2012

Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  61.44
Time =  6:45:42
Ave. Speed =  9.0
Max. Speed =  42.0
Monthly Dist. =    61.44
Yearly Dist. =  399.31

I left the house a little bit later than I usually do, about 8:30. That included one false start. Just when I got to the bottom of my little hill I realized that I had the wrong inner tube with me. I had a mountain bike tube and I needed a road bike tube. Luckily, I was close to home and I went back to the house and started over.

It was a nice morning with temps in the 50s. I was able to start the ride with shorts and short sleeves which was a nice change. I cruised down the hill to the freeway and then made my way through Cedar Crest. I didn't have any goals of reaching a certain time this month. I haven't been riding much and I was just happy to be out in the fresh air. I made my way to my break spot at the Y and took a short rest.

After a few minutes I got back on the bike and headed up the mountain. Immediately I was struck with a very strong headwind that was pushing on me and fighting any forward progress that I might try and make. If this kept up it would make for a very long day. The wind harassed me for the first three miles of the climb and then it went away. It blew a little bit here and there throughout the day but it was never consistent again. That made it a little bit easier for me.

I climbed up to Capulin and took a break there, and for the first time in about a year the gate was open and people were were allowed to use the area. I ate a few handfuls of trail mix and then got ready to finish the climb. A breeze picked up and the temperature went down so I put on a jacket for the rest of the climb. A lot of people were coming down as I was headed up, at least 20 or 30. It was a very busy day for a Friday. Eventually, I rolled in to the gift shop and checked the temperature. It was 53 degrees. Not too bad.

The ride down was very enjoyable. The mountain was very green and there wasn't a sign of any snow to be seen. There were a few more riders on their way up but not nearly as many as I had seen earlier in the day. I stopped at the gas station at the bottom to put away my jacket and fill up on water. I decided that I wasn't hungry enough to stop at Pinkies this month so I just ate a 4-pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and then got back on the road. It had warmed up considerably and temps were in the low 80s.

I took it pretty easy on the way back to the house. I stayed in a leisurely-turn-the-pedal mode all the way back up 337 to Raven Road. Another Streak Ride is complete and now I am less than a year from reaching 100 months in a row to the top of the mountain.

Return to 2012 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page