August 31, 2013

Location =  Slickrock Trail - Moab, Utah  
Distance =  14.68
Time =  2:58.47
Ave. Speed =  4.9
Max. Speed =  31.6
Monthly Dist. =    141.64
Yearly Dist. =  790.90

This ride almost killed me.

I left early in the morning and drove from Albuquerque to Moab in a little less than seven hours. I picked out a campsite, changed into bicycle clothes and then headed for the Slickrock Trail. The temperature on the bike trail was over 100 degrees and it didn't take long for the heat to begin to destroy me.

Everything started out okay. I did the practice loop and then headed out on the main trail in the counter clockwise direction. I was working very hard climbing the difficult climbs, and walking the sections I couldn't ride. I passed shrimp rock and everything seemed to be fine. I was drinking lots of water and making decent time when all of a sudden my body said to me, "What the Hell are you doing?" My temperature skyrocketed and I felt dizzy, weak, fatigued, and I had an overwhelming urge to pass out. I dropped my bike, took off my helmet and collapsed to the ground. The rock was so hot the it burned my legs and I had to lift my knees up off of the ground. Slickrock Trail was kicking my ass and I knew that if I didn't rest and cool down that I was going to die.

I was sweating profusely and I was drinking water as fast as I could. I always take 100 ounces with me and I needed every drop. I dialed back my efforts and walked the harder climbs. There were times that I was so exausted that I just leaned on my handlebars for a few minutes until I could gather enough strength to continue. I tried to keep moving forward because I knew that I had to get myself out of the situation. I was feeling dizzy and faint but I had to keep going. Small moments of pleasure came when I was on top of the mounds because it was windy up there and the wind helped cool me down. Minor relief but much appreciated.

I have never been happier to see the end of a trail, but I still wasn't out of trouble. I had to ride about two miles on the road to get back to the campsite. Those were two of the hardest miles that I have ever ridden. I had to stop two or three times along the way to rest and gain strength. Even after I made it back I was still struggling for the next several hours. I had to put up the tent and cook myself dinner, all the while feeling dizzy and light-headed. Dinner tasted great. After dinner, my neighbors at the next campsite invited me over for a beer. Thanks people! That was awesome!

Return to 2013 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page