Sunday, April 19, 2015

Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  62.34
Time =  7:02:41
Ave. Speed =  8.8
Max. Speed =  40.0
Monthly Dist. =    62.34
Yearly Dist. =  318.28

I headed out the door a few minutes after 8:00 a.m. It was cool, in the 30s, but above freezing and not cold. I wore my headband down to the sidewalk on the other side of the freeway, but I didn't need it after that. There was a pretty strong headwing as I was going down 337 and heading into Cedar Crest, but it died down when I made the turn at the Y and stopped at my break spot.

I ate a PowerBar to fuel up for the climb and then headed up the mountain. This was the first time in a long time that I have done this ride on a weekend and it was crowded with lots of other bike riders making the same climb, and it seemed like every one of them was passing me. I didn't mind. I was just poking along at my on pace and enjoying the music. It turned out that a lot of them weren't even going to the top. I passed a large group of them at Balsam Glade which is where the highway splits off and goes to Placitas, and that's about six miles from the top.

I took another PowerBar break at Capulin and then finished off the climb to the top. I went inside for a couple of minutes, just long enough to eat a cookie, and then I headed down. It was 38 degrees up there. Not bad. I put my headband back on for the downhill and rolled in to the gas station about a half an hour later.

I made a brief stop in the gas station to get more water, and then I was heading for home. It had warmed up enough that I was able to put my jacket in my backpack and make it back to the house without it. I did have arm warmers on.

As I neared Raven Road I saw a big, brown snake in the middle of the road. I decided to try and scoot him off of the road with my bicycle tire but he wasn't having any of that. He coiled up and acted like he wanted to bite me. I gave up and wished him luck and headed for home. The next day I looked to see if there was a squished snake on the road, and there wasn't one. Either someone else scooted him off of the road or he somehow made it out of harm's way on his own. He was at least five or six feet long and as big as my wrist. (That's not saying much, but it's big for a snake.)

I took it pretty easy on this ride. It was a nice ride on a nice day. Temps got up to the high 60s.

Return to 2015 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page