Thursday, July 21, 2016

Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =   61.37
Time =  6:40:00
Ave. Speed =  9.2
Max. Speed =  41.5
Monthly Dist. =    73.48
Yearly Dist. =  580.06

Last month I had some issues with leg cramps so I decided to be better prepared this month. I started drinking water 24 hours before my ride to make certain that I would have no problem with being well hydrated. I woke up three times during the night before the ride to pee so I know that I had water to spare. My effort seemed to work because I didn't suffer any pains in my leg muscles.

I left the house a few minutes before 8:00 and the temperature was already 60 degrees. I didn't bother to put on my windbreaker because I knew that wouldn't need it by the time I reached the bottom of the mountain.

I decided before I began this ride that I would ride easy and take long breaks. My goal was to complete the ride and enjoy it along the way. One way to do that is to NOT be in race mode. I wasn't. I rolled in to my break spot at the Y, and the first of many breaks. It was a very fine day and I made sure that I enjoyed the ride.

After downing a PowerBar I headed up the mountain and I took another break at Capulin before making it all the way to the top. About three miles into the climb something shiny and kind of bluish caught my eye on the side of the road. It seemed salamander like and it was small, maybe an inch or an inch and a half. I circled back to try and get another look at it but it had disappeared into the weeds.

There was a bit more traffic than usual on the road. I think that a lot of people were trying to make a brief escape from the heat of Albuquerque.

I took another leisurely break at the top and basked in the 68 degree temperatures. I don't remember if it's ever been that warm before at 10,678 feet. It made for a very pleasant downhill cruise. I got more water at the gas station at the bottom and then I headed for home. Temps at the bottom were in the low 90s. It was cooking pretty good. I stuck to my decision to go slow and break often so it took a couple more rest stops before I finally made it home.

All in All -- Excellent!

Return to 2016 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page