Friday, December 9, 2016

Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  61.20
Time =  6:50:28
Ave. Speed =  9.0
Max. Speed =  37.4
Monthly Dist. =    61.28
Yearly Dist. =  933.60

I headed out just after 8:00 a.m. I delayed a little bit to allow the air temperature to warm up some. It was in the upper 20s when I started. There was a thin layer of frost on the road as I headed out that caused me to be extra careful. I can usually hit more than 40 miles an hour as I head down Raven Road, but this time I could tell that the curve at the bottom was frosty so I wisely used my brakes.

As I headed down 337 the temperature fell a few degrees but it warmed back up by the time I got down to I40. I stopped when I reached the sidewalk on the north side of I40 and changed out my warm gloves for medium gloves. I cruised through Cedar Crest and took a fairly long break at my spot near the Y.

I started the long climb to the crest feeling a lot better than last month. I had ridden my spin bike a few times in the last week to try and prevent a repeat of the kind of suffering that I felt last time I that I climbed to the top. It seemed to work because I felt a lot less fatigue this time around. It was also a very nice day. It started out sunny and it quickly got warm. My hands were overheating as I neared Capulin so I took off my gloves and rode with bare hands for the last mile. That's very unusual for December.

I took a short break at Capulin and then I was heading for the top. Clouds were starting to form and temps were falling so the gloves went back on.

I took a short break at the top without even bothering to check the temperature. The door was closed and I would have had to go inside to read the thermometer and I just didn't feel like it. I bundled up for the downhill and off I went. There were lots of shaded curves that had frost on the surface and I made sure that I had my speed under control whenever I was rolling through those areas.Not everyone was as careful as I was. A couple of miles below the ski area there was a stretch of road that had a tiny amount of frost on it but it was enough to cause two cars to collide head on. Lots of emergency personnel were on the scene and there were some serious injuries. I slowly rode through all of the people that were milling around and continued on my way.

I stopped in the gas station to fill up on water and realized that I didn't have my wallet with me. No candy bars today. I headed for home and had a slow climb back up 337 to the house.

I'm going to try and keep up with the spin bike and doing exercises. That helped a lot. Hopefully, 2017 will be a better year for biking than 2016 was. I didn't even make it to 1000 miles. I am disappointed that I didn't ride more, but hopeful that I will do better next year.

Return to 2016 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page