Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  61.60
Time =  6:55.36
Ave. Speed =  8.9
Max. Speed =  39.7
Monthly Dist. =    61.60
Yearly Dist. =  61.60

I had a hard time getting my act together at the start of this ride. I kept forgetting things that I wanted to have along with me. The worst of it happened after I left the house and went down the hill to start out. I didn't remember putting my green bag in my backpack that has my pump and tire levers and mini-tool and other things. Instead of stopping and checking to see if I had it, I turned around and went back up the hill, all the way to the house. I looked in the bicycle room for it and I couldn't find it. That's when I checked the bottom of my backpack and found it still there from the last time I went riding. Oh, well. I didn't restart myphone app because I figured that I deserved to have a few extra tenths of miles and a little more time on the clock.

It was 28 degrees when I finally got out on the road. The ride down 337 was a bit chilly and it wasn't until I was about 6 miles from home when I realized that I had forgotten to wear my booties. That was a big mistake because my feet were freezing. Oh, well, again.

I made it to my break spot where I took a fairly long break to try and warm up. I finally got back on the road and headed up to the top. I was feeling pretty good because I rode my spin bike several times before this ride. I didn't try and ride hard, just steady. The ski area was closed and it looked like it only had about a foot of snow, if that. Sad.

I took a little break at Capulin, long enough to eat a PowerBar. My picnic table was snowed in so I stopped at a dry spot in the parking lot. The gate was closed but people were hiking in to use the sledding hills. The weird thing is that they were all wearing sneakers. Wouldn't you put on a pair of boots to go sledding? My feet got even colder, just looking at them.

I continued to the top and the temperature seemed to drop, drastically. When I finally got to the crest I checked the thermometer and it was 22 degrees. I went inside for close to half an hour to try and warm up my feet. Next time I won't forget my booties.

I put on everything I had, tucked in, zipped up, and headed out. I was careful to slow down at the spots in the road that were icy. There weren't a lot of them but it only takes one to ruin your day. By the time I reached the bottom, temps were in the 40s. I filled up on water at the gas station and then headed for home.

The climb back up 337 started out well. I was feeling good for the first 7 or 8 miles, but around Pine Flat I started to feel the onset of fatigue. The temperature started to fall and I backed off on my effort and took it easy the rest of the way back to the house.

The day was a mixture of sun and clouds and wind. At times there were some strong gusts of wind and at other times it was calm and serene. All in all, it was a good way to start my 13th year of doing this.

Return to 2017 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page