Friday, June 9, 2017

Location =  To Sandia Peak and Back  
Distance =  61.39
Time =  5:54:18
Ave. Speed =  10.4
Max. Speed =  41.7
Monthly Dist. =    88.07
Yearly Dist. =  423.23

Wow! What a difference a month makes! I totally rocked this ride without the slightest hint of leg cramps, and I even came in under 6 hours. Excellent!

I started out about an hour earlier than I usually do, which was 7:00 a.m. It was still a little bit cool with temps in the upper 40s. I had my windbreaker on until I reached the sidewalk on the other side of the freeway. From there I rode through Cedar Crest and then took a short break at my spot by the Y. After a couple minutes I began the long climb.

I wasn't trying to be fast on this ride because I was still suffering psychologically from the pain and agony of last month's ride. I was one gear up from the granny gear and spinning along at a nice even pace. I took my usual break at Capulin where I ate a PowerBar and then I was back out on the road and heading up to finish the climb.

Shortly after I pulled out from Capulin a guy passed me, which is not at all unusual, but this time it seemed different. He didn't disappear around the next curve and leave me dropped. He got about 50 yards ahead of me and then he seemed to lose energy. I rode back onto his wheel only to have him pull away again by about 50 yards. I caught him again and he pulled away from me again, but I could tell that he seemed to be suffering from some fatigue, and I was feeling pretty good. It might have been because I had a lot more water on me than he did. I had my usual 100 ounces plus 16 ounces of energy drink, which I had already finished. Right at the 10K trailhead I caught him for a third time and then I was the one who pulled away, leaving him to disappear into the distance behind me. That was a very nice feeling for a change. I rolled up to the Crest House feeling strong. Nice!

I rested a couple of minutes at the top where it was 57 degrees, and waved to the guy when he finally made it up. I put on my windbreaker and headed down the mountain. I watered up at the gas station at the bottom and then headed for home. Temps were in the upper 80s at the bottom and I was feeling good. I knew I was making good time but I didn't really think that I had a shot at coming in at less than 6 hours. I was hoping to get back in less than 6:15 which would be a very good time. I was very pleased to see the time of 5:54 when I made it back to my front porch. About one minute later my phone went dead, but not before I had stopped and saved my ride. Good timing!

Return to 2017 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page