Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Location =  Mars Court  
Distance =  14.78
Time =  2:41:51
Ave. Speed =  5.5
Max. Speed =  35.5
Monthly Dist. =    94.31
Yearly Dist. =  753.31

I left the house about 10:00 a.m. and headed over to Mars Court. I took Wild Turkey to Cajun Pine and then I went down Three Bottles. For some reason I don't ride that trail very often but I really should explore it. For a long time it was under construction but that appears to be completed. There are several trails there of various difficulties. I can always walk down the stuff I can't ride.

I started down the "Easiest" trail of Three Bottles but at some point I wandered onto a trail marked "More Difficult." It wasn't too bad. There is another one marked "Most Difficult" but I'm not in any hurry to find out what that one looks like.

I came out from Three Bottles at Road 106 and took that down to Blue Ribbon. I passed the intersection with "Gnasty with a G" and I was going pretty fast as I headed down to Otero Canyon. I came around a sweeping curve and hit a smooth rock that had some dirt on it, and down I went. I came down on my right elbow on the rocks with the full force of the crash. I am extremely happy to say that my elbow pads were up to the task. They are the kind of material that is flexible until it receives an impact and then it stiffens up. I couldn't feel it turn into a solid but I know that it did because I hit the ground hard. Without the pads I would have lost a lot of skin and had some really bad road rash. As it was, I had a small bump. I Love My Elbow Pads! My right hip and right hand weren't as lucky. My hip had a bruise and some damaged skin. I might have fallen on my knife. My hand was bruised as well, and my grip was weakened for the rest of this ride. Immediately after I crashed I tried to get back on the bike and ride away but I had a dizzy spell and I laid down on the ground and rested for a few minutes until I was able to continue.

I rode down the rest of the Blue Ribbon trail to Otero Canyon and then I got on Tunnel Canyon Trail to climb up to the ridge. I had a very difficult time with my climbing. I had trouble breathing and I had to walk a lot of different sections. There was one spot where I lost speed trying to clear a steep spot and I fell over. At least I wasn't going very fast. The good news is, as the ride progressed I seemed to get stronger.

I climbed up to West Ridge trail and then headed back to what I was expecting to be the southern end of Otero Canyon and the Gnasty with a G trail. Somehow, I managed to completely miss the trail down to Otero and I ended up way the heck out on the air force base. When I finally realized my mistake I headed back towards the national forest and came in at the intersection of Drop In and Western Boundary. The trail I was on was very well traveled so a lot of other people have done the same thing that I did.

I went up Drop In and that has had some minor modifications before it came out at the main intersection. From there I took David Canyon Road back to Mars Court and then back to the house.

It was a beautiful day for a ride with temps from the upper 70s to the mid 80s.

I was battered and tired when I got back from this ride, but it was worth it!

Return to 2017 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page