Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Location =  Moab, Utah  
Distance =  30.11
Time =  5:00:15
Ave. Speed =  6.0
Max. Speed =  25.6
Monthly Dist. =    136.70
Yearly Dist. =  795.70

Day Two of the Moab trip always means riding the Porcupine Rim trail. I left from the campsite at about 8:30 and headed up the road to the trailhead. About three miles up the road there is a spot where the road narrows down to one lane as it passes between two gigantic, vertical cliffs. This morning that spot became a wind tunnel the was blasting me in the face with winds that were blowing 40 or 50 miles per hour. I was pedaling as hard as I could and I was barely moving. I was also riding blind because the desert dirt was hitting me so hard in the face that I couldn't open my eyes. My skin felt like it was getting sand blasted. Somehow, I managed to keep my bike upright as I rode the 100 yards or so length of the passage through the rock. I'm glad that I didn't meet an oncoming car.

I continued up to the trailhead and then passed a momma cow and her calf as I started up the trail. The first three miles are very rocky and pretty much all uphill. This is where my Scalpel started to help me out. If I had sufficient leg power I could make those wheels ride over just about anything. The three extra inches of diameter makes for a big difference in clearance when compared to my old mountain bike. If I could only reduce the amount of crashing.......

I took a break when I reached the rim and, of course, I have to take a picture.

After a few minutes I started the long downhill to the river. The trail down is extremely rocky and once again the Scalpel showed it's worth. The large wheels and better quality suspension really smoothed out the bumps and made the descent very fun. I checked my time from my last trip to Moab and this one is 30 minutes faster. And that's without even trying.

I only saw one other rider out there and he was riding up the trail. There was also a jogger running up, but except for those two guys there was nobody out there. It was very peaceful.

I eventually made it to the bottom, rode through the tunnel under the highway, and then headed back to town. On the way back I decided to stop on one of the bridges they built to keep riders off of the side of the highway. I took one picture looking towards the east, and another one looking towards the west.

I rode to the Poison Spider Bike Shop in town to fill up on water and then I headed back to the campground. The climb back up Sand Flat Road is very steep and I had to stop on the way up and rest. It had warmed up into the mid 80s from the 60s when I started, and I was working hard. It felt very good when I finally rolled back into my campsite.

Return to 2017 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page