Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  61.50
Time =  5:55:18
Ave. Speed =  10.4
Max. Speed =  39.9
Monthly Dist. =    61.50
Yearly Dist. =  877.55

It looks like October is going to be a very busy month for me so I wanted to get the Streak Ride over with early. I couldn't have picked a more beautiful, fall day. It started out cool with temps in the upper 40s but it warmed up nicely into the mid 70s before the day was done. The sky was completely cloudless and the wind was never much of an issue.

I left the house at 8:00 a.m. wearing arm and leg warmers as well as medium gloves, light headband and my windbreaker. Temps were 10 degrees warmer by the time I reached Cedar Crest and when I made it to my break spot at the Y I took off my headband and swapped my gloves out for half-fingered gloves. On the way I started to consume my energy drink which is earlier in the ride than I normally have it. I wanted to see if the effects of the caffeine would kick in and give me a little boost. I think it did.

I started the long climb feeling good but not in any big hurry. My breathing was labored and I didn't want to fatigue myself too much. I kept a steady pace going and slowly made my way up to Capulin where I took my next break. One PowerBar later and I was heading for the top. At around 10,000 feet the aspen trees were changing colors. Very pretty.

I continued my steady pace and when I reached the crest I decided to loop around the parking lot and head back down without even bothering to stop or zip up my coat.

I was enjoying my descent and just above Capulin I came around a curve and three deer were standing on the side of the road. One of the deer was a baby and he became frightened as I whizzed on by but the other two didn't seem to care. As I dropped into the final stretch before the ski area two more deer appeared in front of me just as I was reaching maximum speed. I said to myself, "You've got to be kidding me," and wouldn't you know it, they jumped right out in front of me. I had to grab my brakes and slow down to keep from crashing into them. As it was, I probably came within about two feet of hitting them. Once again, they didn't seem to really care.

I made it down to the gas station where I filled up on water and consumed a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. That was yummy and I was feeling like I could use a few calories. I put my arm warmers and windbreaker into my backback and headed for home.

I was making good time as I hit 337 and started the final climb back up to the house. It seemed like I might have a shot at making this ride in less than six hours. I turned up my effort level a little bit and gave it and extra boost up the steep hill on Raven Road, and I did it!

Great end to a great day......

Return to 2017 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page