Thursday, November 2, 2017

Location =  To Sandia Crest and Back  
Distance =  61.0
Time =  6:45:00
Ave. Speed =  9.0
Max. Speed =  39.3
Monthly Dist. =    61.0
Yearly Dist. =  956.29

I decided to get this Streak Ride out of the way early this month before temperatures begin to drop as it gets later into November. Temps were cool when I left the house at around 8:00 a.m., in the low 40s, but it could have been worse. I wore light long underwear and leg warmers as well as a new base-layer shirt that I picked up at REI. I was skeptical about the shirt because it made some claims about its performance that seemed to be hard to believe, but I have to admit that I stayed warm without overheating and feeling all sweaty. I knew that the day would warm up so I only brought my windbreaker jacket and not my heavier more windproof jacket that I would normally use in the cold months. I also brought along my heavy gloves, just in case, but I wouldn't need them.

I was feeling good as I headed out on the road and I decided to use my middle chain ring and slower spin, rather than a smaller gear with a faster spin. I felt like I was making good time but as things turned out, I'm not so sure.

I rode to my break spot at the Y and drank most of my energy drink and then started the climb up to the crest. There was very little traffic on the way up. There were no cars at Tree Springs trailhead or anywhere else. I stopped at Capulin and ate a PowerBar and then I continued up the mountain. There was nobody at the 10K trailhead and there were only five cars parked at the top. I didn't bother to stop, instead I just looped around the parking lot and headed down.

I descended for a couple miles and then, suddenly, my music shut off and I knew that my phone had died. I should have stopped and plugged in my spare power source but it was cold and I wanted to get down to the ski area where it would be much warmer. That messed up my bicycle app that I used to track my distance, time, elevation gain/loss, and heart rate. Oh, well.

I made it down to the gas station where I filled up on water and then headed for home. It was warm enough that I didn't need my leg warmers or my windbreaker on the way back to the house. I stopped one more time at Otero Canyon and ate a second PowerBar and that gave me the energy I needed to make it the rest of the way up the mountain.

It was a beautiful, sunny day with temps making it up into the 60s with very little wind. Wonderful!

Return to 2017 Page

Return to Cool Dust Main Page