Location =  Cibola National Forest  
Distance =  26.32
Time =  3:03:28
Ave. Speed =  8.6
Max. Speed =  42.0
Monthly Dist. =    122.96
Yearly Dist. =  1994.88

I left work a little bit early, grabbed the mountain bike, and rode over to the other side of the highway, to check out the trails to the east. I'm not sure how many there are, this high up on the mountain. I was on Mahogany, and there was an intersection with a sign for a forest road, but it only went a short distance, and then dead ended. I wandered around, looking for another way to get somewhere, and I saw a steep rocky road, which appeared to climb up to an old mine, or excavation area. I rode up the rocks, and came upon a grassy clearing at the top of a mountain, where there was evidence of footings, for lookout towers. Off to the side there was a trail with sign calling it "Ponderosa". I took that trail, and it dead ended also. I don't understand why you would put a sign on a trail that doesn't go anywhere. Very strange.

I rode back to Mahogany, and took it down to Juan Tomas Rd. Along the way I found a couple of spots that were thick with gooey mud. As much rain as we've been having, I'm surprised that it wasn't a lot worse. I took Juan Tomas back toward the highway, and then detoured up into Cedro Campground. The campground was really pretty, with lots of green grass, and not too many people. Only a couple of cars and an rv were there. I rode through the campground, and then kept on going, all the way up to Cedro Peak. I came down from the peak, cruised through the campground, and almost wiped out on a gravelly, 15mph curve. That was close.

At the highway, I decided to extend the ride by going down to Otero Canyon, and climbing back up to home, from there. I rode up Otero, and then 56, to 236, and eventually, back to Mars Ct. I really worked hard, trying to power up some of the climbs.

This was an excellent ride. It's starting to feel good, putting out major effort. It was a nice afternoon/evening, with temps in the 80s. There was a big scary cloud, off to the east, but it only rumbled, and didn't move to the west until a couple of hours after I got home. Then an amazing thunderstorm cut loose, with spectacular lightning bolts, and booming thunder. There wasn't a lot of rain, but the storm did last for about two hours. It was a very impressive light show.

Return to Cool Dust Main Page