Location =  Cibola National Forest  
Distance =  36.65
Time =  4:58:51
Ave. Speed =  7.3
Max. Speed =  39.0
Monthly Dist. =    375.56
Yearly Dist. =  1004.46

This was a very difficult ride. Nearly five hours on the bike, and more than thirty miles of singletrack, most of it seemed to be through ass-pounding rocks. My butt is in agony. Add intense heat to the trip, and you get a recipe for suffering.

I didn't leave the house until 1:00 in the afternoon, and the temps were already well up into the 90s. My thermometer in the backyard said that it hit 101 today. I rode over to Oak Flat, and took the trail that leads into the Albuquerque Open Space area. I looped around in there for awhile, and then found myself back where I had started. I took a side trail, and it led me up to Forest Rd. 35, which I had explored before, and always found it to be a dead end. I was pleasantly surprised to find another new trail that connected with it. It was pretty hidden, and someone had marked it with chalk. Probably a horseback rider. From there I took Mahogany Trail down to Juan Tomas, and then went toward the highway, to the forest road that leads up to Cedro Peak. From near the peak, I took a couple of pictures of a mountain to the north. This one was taken without the zoom, and this one was taken with the zoom.

From there, I rode down into the campground, and asked a forest ranger if there was any water available. There was a spigot at the hosts campsite, and they let me fill up my camelback. It was nice to add some cool water to what had become hot water, in my pack. They teased me a little bit that the water was $40.00 a gallon. I talked to the ranger for a few minutes about all of the animals that we had seen in the forest. He said that he used to live off of Raven Rd., and that there used to be a momma bear and two cubs that hung around Mars Ct. I wonder if the bear that I saw last week might be one of the cubs.

I left the campground and rode down to Juan Tomas, then over to the highway, and down a mile to Otero Canyon. From there I headed up to Mars Ct., keeping a lookout for the bear. I didn't see him, but another rider on a mountain bike surprised the heck out of me, as I hadn't seen anyone out there for about a month. I was lost in my own little world, and he brought me back down to earth.

I purposely extended this ride of torture, by going up David Canyon, and then taking trail 162 back up to Mars Ct. I did this because I wanted to be sure to break the 1000 mile mark for the year. It's taken me almost six months to do it, but at least I think that I am finally on track. If I can get in another 25 miles before the end of the week, I will have my first 400 mile month, in a long time. That would be almost forty percent of my riding for the year, all in the month of June.

Return to Cool Dust Main Page